This potato leek soup recipe is traditional and lusciously creamy! Cozy as much as a bowl of this easy fall favourite.
Right here’s a creamy soup recipe that stands above the remainder: Potato Leek Soup! There’s simply one thing about cupping your fingers round a steaming bowl or mug that comforts the soul, isn’t there? This traditional combines the delicate candy essence of leeks with humble potatoes and wealthy cream for a very luxurious dish. Right here’s our spin on the traditional recipe: silky clean, and warming. It’s the perfect winter or fall soup for a gathering or a easy weeknight.
Components in potato leek soup
Potato leek soup is a traditional soup of European origin made with potatoes, leeks, broth, seasonings, and heavy cream. There are conventional variations of this dish in Welsh, Romanian and French cooking. One other variation is vichyssoise or potage Parmentier, made with comparable substances however served chilly.
This spin on the recipe is made the traditional American manner: we’ve added just a few different substances to taste the physique of the soup like garlic and leeks. Whereas we love embracing wholesome recipes on this web site, the heavy cream actually does pull this soup collectively! It’s a small amount per serving and the milkfat helps so as to add an opulent richness. Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Salted butter
- Russet potatoes
- Broth (vegetable or hen)
- Contemporary thyme
- Bay leaf
- Heavy cream
The right way to reduce and clear leeks
Leeks are a vegetable that’s a part of the onion (allium) household. They seem like a big inexperienced onion, with a white stalk that fades to gentle inexperienced with darker inexperienced leaves. Leeks are sometimes a lot dirtier than inexperienced onions: sand and grime can get caught between the layers of the white portion. For that motive, it’s essential to chop and clear leeks earlier than working with them. Right here’s the best way to do it:
- Minimize off the foundation and greens: Utilizing a big chef’s knife, slice off the foundation finish of the leek. Slice off the robust darkish inexperienced high and discard.
- Slice in half: Slice the leek in half lengthwise.
- Thinly slice into half-moons: Place each halves reduce aspect down. Then use a round movement to chop the leek into skinny half-moons.
- Clear the leek slices: Leeks usually have fairly a little bit of sand and grime between the layers. Place the leek slices right into a bowl of water and the grime will settle to the underside. Use your fingers to shake free any seen grime.
- Dry: Scoop the leeks out of the bowl along with your fingers, permitting any grime and sediment to remain on the underside of the bowl. Pat the leeks dry with a towel, and also you’re good to go!
The right way to use leek greens
What’s one of the best ways to make use of use leek greens? Some individuals say you need to use them for vegetable broth, however others say that leek greens have the potential so as to add bitterness to recipes. Our advice? We discard them and add them to our compost pile: they’re nice for compost! In the event you’re questioning the best way to get began composting, right here’s our Composting 101 tutorial.
Ideas for this potato leek soup recipe
When you’ve cleaned and chopped the leeks for this recipe, the remainder of the soup is a breeze! Listed here are just a few extra notes on making this cozy recipe:
- Use thyme sprigs and bay leaf, or a bouquet garni. Entire herbs add taste to the soup, which you’ll take away after simmering. In the event you like, you need to use a bouquet garni, which ties the herbs in cheesecloth and kitchen string. This makes them simpler to take away from the pot after simmering.
- Use a normal blender, not an immersion blender. Usually we just like the slick technique of putting a stick blender proper right into a pot of soup and mixing away. However with this soup, it doesn’t get it practically creamy sufficient. We suggest rigorously transferring to a blender (cautious! the soup is scorching).
- Don’t loosen up on the cream. Stirring in heavy cream on the finish provides simply the proper wealthy physique to this soup. Don’t be tempted to make use of milk: it really works, but it surely’s not practically as satisfying.
Methods to serve potato leek soup
The right way to serve this potato leek soup when you’ve obtained a steaming pot? This pureed soup just isn’t fairly a meal by itself, because it doesn’t have a supply of protein. However add just a few extra components to make it a meal! Listed here are just a few concepts:
Extra leek recipes
Love working with leeks? Listed here are just a few extra leek recipes and ideas:
This potato leek soup recipe is…
Vegetarian and gluten-free. For vegan and dairy-free, use a vegan cream substitute or cashew cream.
This potato leek soup recipe is traditional and lusciously creamy! Cozy as much as a bowl of this fall easy favourite.
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (or olive oil)
- 2 giant or 4 small leeks (4 cups thinly sliced), white and lightweight inexperienced elements
- 3 celery ribs
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 kilos russet potatoes, peeled and small diced (5 cups diced)
- 4 cups vegetable broth or hen broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 sprigs recent thyme (or make a bouquet garni)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Chives, for garnish
- In a big pot or Dutch oven, soften the butter over medium warmth. Add the leeks, celery and garlic and cook dinner, stirring often, for 7 to eight minutes till the leeks are very tender however not browned.
- Add the chopped potato, vegetable broth, water, recent thyme, bay leaf, and salt and convey to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes till the potatoes are tender. Take away the thyme and bay leaf.
- Switch to a blender and mix till clean. Add the cream and mix once more. Style and regulate seasonings as desired.
- Class: Soup
- Technique: Blended
- Delicacies: Soup
- Weight loss program: Vegetarian
Key phrases: Potato leek soup