Because the Director of the Workplace for Civil Rights (OCR) on the U.S. Division of Well being and Human Companies (HHS), I’m happy with my workforce’s work in direction of growing cybersecurity consciousness final month, and in reality, each month. OCR enforces the Well being Insurance coverage Portability and Accountability Act’s (HIPAA) Privateness, Safety, and Enforcement Guidelines to guard people’ well being info personal and safe.
To maintain people’ protected well being info secure, a company will need to have robust cybersecurity measures. When a HIPAA regulated entity understands and has good cybersecurity practices in place, this lowers the danger of protected well being info turning into compromised. To advertise these good practices, OCR presents assets to the general public and coated entities that tackle trending cybersecurity subjects. Though robust cybersecurity habits must be year-round, OCR celebrated October’s Cybersecurity Consciousness Month with gusto within the following methods:
- Useful resource Paperwork on Telehealth: OCR issued two useful resource paperwork to advertise cybersecurity in telehealth for various audiences.
- E-newsletter on Sanctions Insurance policies: OCR regularly publishes Cybersecurity Newsletters to maintain the general public knowledgeable of probably the most up-to-date cybersecurity subjects. In October, OCR put out a publication on “How Sanction Insurance policies Can Help HIPAA Compliance”. A company’s sanction insurance policies may be an essential software for supporting accountability and enhancing cybersecurity and knowledge safety. The publication relayed what the capabilities, the content material, and execution of what such a coverage would possibly appear to be.
- Movies on Defending In opposition to Cyber-Assaults: OCR launched two movies, in English and Spanish, on the HIPAA Safety Rule and the way it might help regulated entities defend in opposition to cyber-attacks. The movies focus on actual world cyber-attack tendencies, primarily based on OCR’s expertise with its breach reviews and enforcement, together with methods to detect and mitigate frequent cyber-attacks.
- Settlements: OCR introduced its first ever settlement regarding a ransomware assault. Ransomware is a kind of malware (malicious software program) designed to disclaim entry to a consumer’s knowledge, normally by encrypting the information with a key recognized solely to the hacker who deployed the malware, till a ransom is paid. This settlement with a enterprise affiliate highlights how ransomware assaults are more and more frequent and concentrating on the well being care system.
- Webinar on Danger Evaluation: To cap off Cybersecurity Consciousness Month, OCR hosted a webinar titled “The HIPAA Security Rule Risk Analysis Requirement”, to an viewers of over 4,000 registrants. A danger evaluation is a key and mandatory step for efficient cybersecurity and HIPAA Safety Rule compliance. This webinar mentioned what’s required to conduct an correct and thorough danger evaluation to protected well being info.
- Cybersecurity Coaching: All through October, OCR’s eight regional workplaces performed cybersecurity coaching for giant hospitals, small medical suppliers, enterprise associates, state well being departments, and state social service companies to help them in complying with their cybersecurity obligations within the face of adjusting hostile threats.
We encourage your efforts to maintain your group in compliance with HIPAA, and a part of that effort is having robust cybersecurity measures. Keep tuned for future OCR bulletins in help of HIPAA and cybersecurity, and please make use of our free cybersecurity assets.